The Physiology of Thought
Why do we think the way we do?
Every thought on which you meditate equals a physical reaction through electrical currents or hormones.
87% of all diseases are the result of what goes on in our thought life! – Dr. Caroline Leaf
Biblically this is true: 2 Corinthians 10:5 + Philippians 4:8 = Proverbs 17:22
A thought may seem harmless but if it becomes toxic, it can become spiritually, emotionally, and physically dangerous.
Examples of toxic thoughts that lead to chemical secretions that destroy the body & mind
Beloved, I wish above all things that you may prosper and be in health even as your soul prospers.
To the extent your soul (mind, will & emotions) prospers, so your body prospers. So the quality of your life and health is directly related to the quality of your thinking.
What are you thinking about?
The bible says that “As a man thinks in his heart, so is he.” Proverbs 23:7
Satan knows the mind-body connection is real. He knows that if you can manage your thought life, he can control your body chemistry and cause disease.
Our thinking has to change.
We learn through 2 pathways:
- From Within (thoughts)
- From Without (5 senses)
The soul is the bridge between the spirit and the body.
Theta brain wave activity, thoughts come to the spirit before going to the soul. Thoughts from Holy Spirit or evil kingdom
Beta brain wave activity comes from without (5 physical senses)
Alpha brain waves combine theta and beta. Out of that comes your personality.
What are sources of thought?
- God James 1:17
- Dark Kingdom Eph 6:11-12
Examples of this:
And He said, “Who told you that you were naked?…”
And supper being ended, the devil having now put into the heart of Judas Iscariot, Simon’s son, to betray Him.
The true battle is between our ears because our bodies are simply responders to thought.
Facts about our Brains. (Dr. Caroline Leaf & Dr MK Strydom)
- Right side of brain controls the left side of the body
- Left side of brain controls the right side of body
- Size of brain = 2 fists put together
- Doesn’t age. Science has shown that it matures, it becomes more efficient as we age
- Intelligence is NOT fixed, it develops according to how you use it
- Your brain’s performance will improve 35 – 75% if you learn to think correctly
What is Memory?
- Brain is made up of nerves
- Each nerve looks like a tree
- Trunk is called an axon
- Branches called dendrites
- A new branch is made for every new piece of information
- Proteins are made and used to grow new branches to hold info from thoughts. (protein synthesis)
- Brain performs 400 billions actions per second and we are aware of 2000
- Made of 100 billion nerves which can grow 15,000 – 200,000 branches.
- Ex. You can fit one college class on one nerve
- 3 Millions years of storage space
- We do have the mind of Christ (1 Cor 2:16)
- You are not dumb or stupid, you have an amazing brain!!
As you continue to meditate on a particular thought, more branches grow, the connections between those branches and the nerve gets stronger and the memory becomes permanent. Thus the more you meditate on a thought, the more you reinforce it.
Strong’s Concordance: imagine, meditate, roar, mourn, speak, talk, utter, ponder, imagine
This book of the law shall not depart out of your mouth but you shall meditate therein day and night, that you may observe to do according to all that is written therein, for then you shall make your way prosperous and then you shall have good success.
But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in His law does he meditate day and night. And he shall be like a tree planted by the rivers of water, that brings forth its fruit in its season; its leaf also shall not wither, and whatsoever he does shall prosper.
I will meditate in Your precepts, and have contemplate Your ways.
The quality of information or memories stored in your brain depends on the quality of your thought life. What are you thinking about?
The strong memory can be a good memory or a bad memory. Toxic thoughts = toxic memories.
Important Areas of the Brain
- Used for thinking
- Directly under your control
- Front portion is the location of Free Will
- Responsible for rational decision making
Cortex of Brain
- Trees of the mind are located here
- All memories from birth to death are stored here
- Connects the mind to the body
- Area of brain that converts everything in thought life to physical reality
- Determines the type and amount of chemicals released into the blood stream
How a Thought Forms and Becomes Toxic
- Comes in through your five senses
- Enters the brain in the form of an electrical current that travels along nerves through various areas until it reaches the Free Will area in the Corpus Callosum
- You know have a choice of what to do with the thought
- Allow your brain to meditate on it?
- Reject the thought?
- If you make the decision to reject the thought, it literally becomes ‘hot air’ and does not penetrate the brain any further. It is gone.
- If you decide to meditate on the thought, a memory is either added to or begins to be built.
- The more you meditate on it, the more branches will grow
- Same process for good thoughts or bad thoughts
Philippians 4:8 is the way to build positive memories in the brain.
Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are of good report: if there be any virtue and if there be any praise, think on these things.
When you are building a memory, you are also experiencing emotion. The chemicals that carry the info from your thoughts also carry the emotion experienced which is why you physically feel the memory.
A ‘gut feeling’ occurs because our digestive system is connected to our brain via nerves. Small and large intestines are densely lined with nerves and chemical receptors that are busy exchanging emotional content.
It is very important to think about what you are thinking about and meditate on the word of God.
When a bad memory is re-activated the thorns on the tree secrete the chemicals associated with that memory. An example is Bitterness, Fear, Anger, Jealousy, etc
When a good memory is re-activated it releases endorphins, serotonin, and dopamine which all bring about healing.
My son, attend to my words; incline your ear to my sayings. Let them not depart from your eyes; keep them in the midst of your heart. For they are life to those that find them, and health to all their flesh. Keep your heart with all diligence for out of it are the issues of life.
You will find yourself wanting to respond to this strong, negative physical feeling that you have in your body. If you are impulsive and you immediately react to this strong emotion that rises up, you could make a mistake. This is because even though your emotions feel like they are based on truth, they are actually based on perceptions/chemicals.
In just 4 days of thinking correctly, you can remove the thorns from those toxic memory trees and you can create new healthy memories over them within 21 days.
You can literally detoxify your brain and change its whole neuro-chemical structure through your thought life.
Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good, and acceptable and perfect will of God
And be renewed in the spirit of your mind
The Heart Brain
Science has shown us that the heart has its own independent nervous system which is referred to as the brain of the heart. The brain in your heart has about 40,000 nerves which work in conjunction with the pre-frontal cortex (free will and rational decision-making).
The heart-brain literally functions like a conscience (still small voice of Holy Spirit) and advises the free-will area what to do. However, we can still override it and make a different choice.
If you make a decision by your free will to listen to the voice of your heart and reject angry thoughts and choose forgiveness your heart secretes a chemical called ANF (Atrial Natriurectic Factor) which is a peaceful chemical. It calms the body and allows us to function more peacefully.
If you make a decision to NOT listen to your heart brain and choose to meditate on the angry thought, no ANF is secreted, toxic thorns are built and your entire body chemistry is thrown off. Anxiety, agitation, fear, etc…
As a man thinks in his heart, so is he.
Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ.
- Think about what you are thinking about
- Replace the negative thinking with scripture
- Realize that emotions or feelings are just a chemical stored with the memory
- Ask the Holy Spirit to show you areas of unrenewed thinking
If you have any questions or would like additional information, please contact me and I will be glad to assist you.